Tiger Oak Publications is seeking print interns to work in our Community Lifestyle Magazines group, which includes titles geared toward the Edina, Woodbury, Lake Minnetonka, St. Louis Park, White Bear Lake, Plymouth, Maple Grove and Southwest Metro communities. Our raft of CLMs are fresh, engaging and entertaining titles that offer interns and writers a broad range of experiences, including fact-checking, proofing and writing. See the job description below for a detailed look at the position. To apply, please submit your cover letter, resume and three (3) writing samples to Laura Haraldson, Managing Editor, at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you.
Tiger Oak Publications
Job Summary: Fact-check articles, mails complimentary copies, research story ideas, writes short articles, brainstorm and pitch story ideas, assist with photo shoots and other writing-related duties as assigned by editorial staff.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains a database of archived stories for ALL lifestyle publications; supervised / checked monthly by M.E.
- Fact-checks up to 30 articles per month; changes input by M.E., supervised by M.E.
- Mails complimentary copies to sources/contacts; supervised by M.E.
- Researches localized contact for Regional Editors/writers; works with 1-2 remote contract editors, who act as checkpoint / supervisor for this task
- Writes Last Glances, front-of-book articles and Galleries; assigned by individual remote editors who edits/supervises on case-by-case basis
- Maintains open relationship with all editors but especially M.E., revising proofs of all assigned stories
- Researches potential story ideas for publications as a large group and for individual assigned requests
- Assists with photo shoots by gathering and returning products; organized by M.E., facilitated / supervised by Art Directors
- Maintains a list of story ideas for past, present and pending issues of region’s publications; supervised by individual remote editors
- Contacts sources for contributed art; supervised by ME and remote editors, checked at least monthly
- On occasion, shadow and/or attend and contribute to art meetings; supervised by M.E.
- OPTIONAL: Shadow art/design/photography/circulation departments as desired/available.
- Volunteer at a company event (1-3/term as relevant)
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Maintains a database of notable PR sources and contacts for specialized fields (local arts & entertainment venues) for Calendars, both local and regional; supervised by remote individual editors and M.E.. Monthly calendars.
- Researches/collects localized A&E content for each individual community on a monthly basis
- Researches/collects regional/Twin Cities-based A&E content on a monthly basis
- Collects multiple options of contributed art to supplement A&E content on a monthly basis
- Updates CLM websites regularly, with features monthly; supervised by web editor and M.E.. Updates online calendars as requested.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to write engaging and entertaining articles.
- Basic knowledge of journalism, including style and format of articles, interviewing and fact-checking.
- Familiarity with the AP Style Guide.
- Basic knowledge of the PC environment, including Word, email, photo software, etc.
- Ability to multitask and work for a number of editors on a number of assignments.