Lake Minnetonka Shores was voted Best Senior Living Residence in the Best of Lake Minnetonka 2019 readers' choice survey.
After retirement, day-to-day life can look a little different. But that certainly doesn’t mean life has to slow down. Nobody knows this better than Lake Minnetonka Shores, a senior living residence that offers a variety of housing styles and amenities.
Number of years in the community: 70
The residence was first established in 1949 with a small house that provided meals for the elderly. Over the years, they’ve added a care center, apartments for independent living, assisted living residences and a chemical dependency program. The latest updates in 2011 added an assisted living and memory care unit, and connected the campus buildings so residents can gather in the Town Center, share a cup of coffee or attend events together.
Average resident age: 85
Outdoor spaces: 18 acres
The outdoor spaces include a half-mile of walking trails, raised garden beds and a putting green.
Available fitness programs: Yoga, strength building and a 24/7 fitness center.
Other activities: Educational classes, art projects, bridge, cards, puzzles, bingo or a rotating weekly entertainment.
- Cups of coffee brewed each day: 1,500
- On-site pets: 6 dogs and (at least) 15 cats
- Kids enrolled in on-site childcare program: 53. The Koala Bear child care program works with kids ages 6 weeks to preschool and features intergenerational programming throughout the day, allowing kids and residents to spend time together in activity.
- Number of best friend pairs among the residents: Too many to count
- Residents who served in the armed forces: WWII: 18 veterans, 2 nurses; Korean War: 17 veterans; Vietnam War: 3 veterans; Peacetime members: 5 veterans
Top 10 occupations:
- Secretary and office work positions
- Executive management positions
- Business owners
Other occupations include farmers, aerospace engineers, chaplains, pharmacists, dentists, scientists and a college professor.