Celebrate, and make New Year’s memories from home.
Let’s face it, 2021 might be one of the most anticipated years in recent memory, and there’s no reason we can’t welcome it from the comfort of home. Hunker down for a cozy celebration. Pop the Champagne or sparkling juice, and raise a glass to family-friendly activities.
- Go Formal: If we’ve learned anything this last year, it’s that just because you’re at home doesn’t mean you need to dress down. Make the night feel (and look) special, and dress in your party best (sparkles encouraged).
- Make Dinner an Experience: Dine without breaking a sweat, and opt for appetizers. Take a trip down your grocer’s freezer aisle, and grab pigs in a blanket, shrimp cocktail supplies, spanakopita or any small bites that catch your eye. (Click here for fondue ideas.)
- Play Games: On the hour, leading up to midnight, ramp up anticipation with cup stacking contests, egg-spoon races, charades, trivia games and more.
- Collect Your Thoughts: Encourage everyone to think back on the year. What are you grateful for? What are you looking forward to in 2021? New Year’s resolutions are often quickly forgotten, so enter the year thoughtfully to set you off on the right foot.
- Cheat the Countdown: For younger kids (who might not know about time zones), turn on the countdown from New York to give them the full ball drop experience before their bedtime, and the adults can re-celebrate during this time zone’s countdown.